Keywords are a critical component of any product or project page.
They're essentially an identifier that will enable your target audience, or search engines (e.g. Google and Bing) to quickly and easily gauge the page’s relevance. Effective use of keywords will increase the page’s rank in search results, and traffic to the page.
To identify the most effective keywords for your page
These are often the first words that come to mind, and for a given page there may be any number of keywords. Think about the target audience for the page, and consider all the keywords or phrases they might use to search for it.
Some keywords will be more effective than others, generally determined by how frequently those words or phrases are used in searches. They will invariably fall into one of the following categories:
- Branded keywords: Typically the company’s name, followed by the product range (if applicable), and then model
- Generic keywords: Broader search terms such as those relating to product category, use-case, or features (e.g. timber flooring, bathroom vanity, insulated panel)
The most effective keywords for a given page are often influenced by the brand’s strength and awareness in the target audience. This will have an impact on the terms or phrases the target audience most frequently use to search for a particular product. For example:
- Industry leaders and well established brands generally have strong brand recognition in their target audience. As a result - when the time comes to make a design or building decision, it is often brand names which come to mind first.
- Brands that are relatively new to market, or have yet to establish a strong presence in the marketplace, may not have brand awareness in target audience. Therefore, in order to appear in relevant search results - generic keywords are paramount.
When to use keywords
It is particularly important to use keywords in Product Details > Page Title, Description, and Meta Description fields. Stick to the following guidelines in order to avoid search engines flagging the page as spam.
- Page Title: Use each keyword once only
- Description and Meta Description: Use each keyword sparingly